So I find this fabby sweater in Ravelry and the pattern is from 2003.
The chances of locating the gem would be a hassle and not worth the effort when I could be knitting or reading or both this past weekend.
On Thursday I spent a bit of time studying the notes and pictures in Ravelry. I felt confident that I could recreate it without the pattern.
The original calls for each section to be knit independently and from the bottom up. Yuck.
Why do people continue write patterns this way? This is terrible for new knitters who have not developed the skills or patience for finishing work and advanced knitters don't want to be bothered with seaming. I would be the later. I have better things to do with my time.... I digress.
A plan began to form in my wee little brain.
I'm going to work it from the top down and use short row shaping to give the boat neck a graceful curve whilst giving my neck a little more comfort.
As for the cables I don't care for the asymmetrical placement on the original. It would bother me to no end so mine are going to be symmetrical and retain the triangular shape.
The back and lower body will be done in a 8x2 rib.
When all is said and done I'll only have two little seams to graft at the shoulders. That I can live with. And look, it's done already and took 10 minutes of time.
Once the front and back are done, I'll begin working in the round.
The sleeves will be "set in" similar to a short row heel and I'll carry on with the 8 x 2 rib.
Well the plan seems to be working and the first sleeve cap is in.